Research Travel Grant
The Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies Office (GPSO) of the Faculty of Law recognizes that travel in the pursuit of research for your thesis is necessary and important. For this purpose, the Office offers grants for travel outside the National Capital Region when circumstances require it.
Travel that allows the direct collection of data for a thesis in progress will be considered. Students may conduct interviews, perform archival research or consult documents or works unavailable in the region, or may further develop their research processes by visiting a foreign lab (university or government).
The maximum grant is $550.
The grants may only be used to cover either travel expenses (train, plane, bus or other) or accommodation expenses (accommodation and meals). Other travel-related expenses will not be reimbursed.
Research stay taking place in the Ottawa-Gatineau area are not eligible;
- Students must apply by December 1st for travel between January 1st – April 30th
- Students must apply by April 1st for travel between May 1st – August 31st
- Students must apply by August 1st for travel between September 1st – December 31st
Requests will be evaluated after each deadline. No grants will be considered after the fact.
Only complete applications received by the deadlines will be processed. Incomplete applications will be rejected. It is the sole responsibility of the student to ensure that all the required documentation, confirmation of financial contribution, and all signatures are provided with the application. If the application is refused, the student has the possibility to resubmit a second complete application.
Students enrolled in full-time studies in a Master’s with thesis a PhD or fast-track program at the faculty of Law of the University of Ottawa when the research stay takes place are eligible.
- This grant can only be used to cover the cost of transportation (train, plane, bus, taxi, kilometers or other), and at the most economical rate possible. No other travel expenses are eligible;
- A single grant for the duration of the studies is allowed.
- Master’s with thesis: At least two terms but less than six terms must have been completed when the travel takes place.
- PhD programs: At least three terms but less than twelve terms must have been completed when the travel takes place.
- Fast-track programs: At least two terms but less than fifteen terms must have been completed when the travel takes place.
All terms count including terms with leaves of absence, except for approved leaves of absence for medical, maternity or parental reasons.
Before the research stay
- Submit the complete and signed forms to the Faculty of Law, Office of Graduate Studies, Fauteux Hall, room 301 ( 57 Louis-Pasteur , Ottawa, ON, Canada K1N 6N5). You can also submit your application by email by sending clearly scanned documents to etudgrad@uOttawa.ca :
- Wait for the acceptance or refusal letter from the Office of Graduate Studies of the Faculty of Law, by email.
- Where applicable, it is the student’s responsibility to ensure that ethics approval for the research project is obtained prior to the Research travel.
Upon your return
- Submit the Travel-expense reimbursement form;
- Original invoices related to travel (air, train, other), a credit card statement is not sufficient;
- Boarding passes;
- All original receipts (meals, taxis, bus, hotel accommodation, etc.).