The Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies Office (GSPO) of the Faculty of Medicine recognizes the importance of sharing the research findings of master's with thesis, PhD and fast-track students with the broader scientific community.
To this end, the GSP awards travel grants to these individuals so that they can present the results of their research closely related to the thesis at major conferences. The program also provides an opportunity to exchange with other researchers in one's field.
Description of the conference travel grant
If you are planning on presenting a publication directly related to your thesis at a conference, you may be eligible for a travel grant. Eligible students include Master’s with thesis option students; doctoral students and students enrolled in a “fast-track” program. Consult the relevant section below for more details on eligibility criteria.
Please note that funds are limited.
This grant can only be used to cover the cost of transportation (train, plane, bus, taxi, kilometers or other), and at the most economical rate possible. No other travel expenses are eligible.
The maximum amount awarded is $550.
Conferences taking place in the Ottawa-Gatineau area are not eligible.
- Students must apply by December 1st for travel between January 1st – April 30th
- Students must apply by April 1st for travel between May 1st – August 31st
- Students must apply by August 1st for travel between September 1st – December 31st
Requests will be evaluated after each deadline. No grants will be considered after the fact.
Only complete applications received by the deadlines will be processed. Incomplete applications will be rejected. It is the sole responsibility of the student to ensure that all the required documentation, confirmation of financial contribution, and all signatures are provided with the application. If the application is refused, the student has the possibility to resubmit a second complete application.
Master's with thesis
Master's with thesis students applying for a conference travel grant must:
- Be enrolled full time in a thesis program at the time of the conference;
- Present their research at the conference within the first six terms from their initial registration in the Master's program.
PhD and fast-track
PhD and fast-track students applying for a conference travel grant must:
- Be enrolled full time in a PhD program at the time of the conference;
- Have completed at least two terms in their PhD program;
- Present their research at the conference within the first 15 terms from their initial registration in the PhD program (the first term of the transfer to PhD is taken as reference for fast-track students).
- This grant can only be used to cover the cost of transportation (train, plane, bus, taxi, kilometers or other), and at the most economical rate possible. No other travel expenses are eligible;
- The publication and presentation must deal with research results obtained during the current program and be related to the thesis;
- The applicant must be the first author (as listed on the official publication or conference documents) and the presenter;
- A student can only be awarded:
Master's with thesis: one grant through the completion of their program
PhD and fast-track:
A maximum of three grants can be awarded to a student in a regular PhD program through the duration of their program;
A maximum of four grants can be awarded to a student who fast-track into a PhD program, including any conference travel grant received while being registered in a Master's program;
A maximum of two grants will be provided per fiscal year (between May 1 and April 30)
Before the travel
Submit the completed and signed forms to the Office of Graduate Studies of the Faculty of Law, Fauteux Hall, room 301 ( 57 Louis-Pasteur , Ottawa, ON, Canada K1N 6N5). You can also submit your application by email by sending clearly scanned documents to etudgrad@uOttawa.ca
- Travel Grant request form
- Financial Resources –Request Form
- A written proof that the publication has been accepted for presentation at the conference (issue by the conference organizers)
- Wait for the acceptance or refusal letter from the Office of Graduate Studies of the Faculty of Law, by email.
Upon your return
Submit the completed and signed forms to the Office of Graduate Studies of the Faculty of Law, Fauteux Hall, room 301 ( 57 Louis-Pasteur , Ottawa, ON, Canada K1N 6N5).
- Submit the Travel-expenses reimbursement form;
- Submit original transportation receipts (including boarding passes);
- Submit proof of attendance at the conference;
- Include a proof of exchange rates used if appropriate;
- Where applicable, it is the student’s responsibility to ensure that ethics approval for the research project is obtained prior to the Research travel.